In 1860, William Walcutt sculpted the Commodore Perry statue and Cleveland dedicated it on Public Square. The statue remained there until 1892 when the Soldiers & Sailors Monument evicted it. Then it was evicted from Wade Park by the new art museum. Since then, it has resided in Gordon Park, in a Perrysburg, Ohio park, and storage sheds in both cities. Finally, Perrysburg replaced it with a bronze version and loaned the original to the new Perry's Monument Visitor Center on Put-In-Bay.