The mottled brown glaze on this jug was known in England as ‘tigerware’. Glazed stoneware such as this was imported in large quantities from the German Rhineland in the 16th century and often mounted in precious metal. Inexpensive objects of turned wood and stoneware, and more costly glass vessels were often transformed by adding decorated mounts of silver, pewter and gold.
LavishShoestring.com | Ewer Place of origin: Jingdezhen, China (porcelain, made) London, England (mounts, made) Date: 1560-1586 (made) Artist/Maker: Unknown (production) Materials and Techniques: Porcelain, painted with underglaze blue, with gilt-metal mounts
The inscriptions may plausibly be linked to the French Huguenot glass engraver, Anthony de Lysle, who is known to have worked in London (he is recorded there in 1582 and 1583). Verzelini's monopoly of 1574 (his exclusive right to produce and sell Venetian-style glass in England) forbade the import of Venetian glass, so in theory de Lysle would have been compelled to purchase English glass from the Verzelini glasshouse. De Lysle was also a pewterer
"Jacopo Verzelini was the first Venetian glassmaker to set up a successful glasshouse in Britain, at Crutched Friars in London. This superb goblet can be attributed to Verzelini’s glasshouse because of its diamond-point engraved inscription and date. The inscription ‘God Save Qyne [Queen] Elisabeth’ is accompanied by the date ‘1586’ and the initials ‘RP’ and ‘MP’, which probably refer to its original owners."
Jug of lead-glazed earthenware. Ovoid body, mouth pinched in front to form a lip, loop handle. The upper part of the body is slightly grooved horizontally. Place of Origin Staffordshire, England (probably, made) Date ca. 1650-1700 (made) Artist/maker unknown (maker) Materials and Techniques Lead-glazed earthenware Dimensions Height: 10 in taken from Register, Diameter: 6 1/4 in taken from Register
Buff earthenware jug partly covered with a copper green glaze over a white slip. Globular body, incurred neck, cyliindrical mouth, spreading foot, loop handle springing from a rim below the mouth. Place of Origin Surrey, England (possibly, made) Hampshire, England (possibly, made) Date ca. 1575-1625 (made)
Jug of red earthenware, covered with a mottled greenish-brown glaze. Ovoid body, expanding mouth. The loop handle is missing. Place of Origin Staffordshire, England (made) Date 1600-1700 (made) Materials and Techniques Lead-glazed earthenware Dimensions Height: 20.3 cm taken from Register, Diameter: 10.2 cm taken from Register
Accession number: 24710 Collection place: Surrey/Hampshire border Production date: 1501-1635 Material: ceramic; earthenware Measurements: H 114 mm; DM 83 mm Museum Section: Post-Medieval Summary: Green glazed Surrey/Hampshire border ware globular drinking jug. From a cess pit.
Physical description Jug of buff earthenware, partly covered with a green glaze over a white slip. Ovoid body, spreading mouth pinched in front to form a lip, loop handle. Place of Origin Surrey, England (made) Hampshire, England (possibly, made) Date ca. 1500-1600 (made)