"Coming of the White Man" bronze sculpture by American artist, Hermon Atkins MacNeil gifted to the City of Portland in 1904 by former mayor David P. Thompson and installed the following year, depicts two Native American men, including Chief Multnomah, looking towards the Columbia River upon the arrival of Lewis and Clark.
SW Morrison west from 5th, 1907. The heart of downtown Portland is shown in this nice 1907 image; SW 5th Avenue crosses in the foreground as we look west on Morrison Street. Even though all the buildings except the Pioneer Courthouse on the left have been replaced, it’s a pretty recognizable scene even today. And as we’ve seen a number of times, today’s MAX Light Rail cars now rumble over some of the same routes that early streetcars did over a hundred years ago.