The Horses of St. Mark were installed on the basilica in about 1254. The horses were long displayed at the Hippodrome of Constantinople, and in 1204 Doge Enrico Dandolo (cruel man but great politician) sent them back to Venice as part of the loot sacked from Constantinople in the Fourth Crusade. They were taken to Paris by Napoleon in 1797 but returned to Venice in 1815. These are the originals inside the Basilica. The horses outside on the balcony are bronze replicas. | chapter 71
Boulonnais, also known as the "White Marble Horse. Originally used to pull carts full of fresh fish from Boulogne to Paris, while the larger varieties performed heavy draft work, both on farms and in the cities.
LAYAWAY for Faciasmom - Antique circus horse photo postcard, 1900s, very rare - Please do not buy unless you're Faciasmom
Wonderful and very, very rare this hand tinted French photo postcard of a lady circus artist (Mademoiselle Marville) on her horse. She performed at the Moulin Rouge in Paris the Belle Epoque era (1900-1905). Photographer: Walery, Paris Postally not used, with undivided backside so pre-1905