THE WORLD'S FIRST MILE OF CONCRETE ROAD - Paving Woodward Ave. in Detroit - The Wayne County Rd Com. introduced the world to a new kind of road: Concrete. The only place it could be found that year was Woodward between Six and Seven Mile Roads in Greenfield Twp., which is now northwest Detroit. Construction started April 20, 1909.
"'The Hole in the Road' became part of Sheffield folklore from its construction in 1967 to its demolition in 1994. Its 27 year history saw it as memorable facet of the city for a variety of reasons that merged together in a loose fashion. As a 'residual jungle', the inclusion of a large and solitary fish tank was part of the allure of the underground structure."