Pinterest • The world’s catalogue of ideas

Explore St Patrick's Cathedral, 1950 and more!

Illuminated Addresses. When William Brennan was appointed Roman Catholic Bishop of Toowoomba, two illuminated addresses were presented to him, one from the priests the other from the people of the diocese. These exquisite paintings were the work of local artist Ralph Weppner and show St Patrick's Cathedral, symbolic grapes and wheat and Darling Downs scenes including Mt Tabletop. These addresses have been presented in the traditional scroll form mounted on leather.

Illuminated Addresses. When William Brennan was appointed Roman Catholic Bishop of Toowoomba, two illuminated addresses were presented to him, one from the priests the other from the people of the diocese. These exquisite paintings were the work of local artist Ralph Weppner and show St Patrick's Cathedral, symbolic grapes and wheat and Darling Downs scenes including Mt Tabletop. These addresses have been presented in the traditional scroll form mounted on leather.

St Patrick's Cathedral Toowoomba #toowoombaregion #architecture #churches

St Patrick's Cathedral Toowoomba #toowoombaregion #architecture #churches

Typical list of donators that appeared each week in the St Patrick's Cathedral newsletter each week

Typical list of donators that appeared each week in the St Patrick's Cathedral newsletter each week

The decorated interior of St Patrick's Cathedral in 1929. This photograph as taken during the enthronement of Bishop Byrne.

The decorated interior of St Patrick's Cathedral in 1929. This photograph as taken during the enthronement of Bishop Byrne.

Opening ceremony for the St Patrick's Cathedral Presbytery in 1935.

Opening ceremony for the St Patrick's Cathedral Presbytery in 1935.

Landscaping surrounding the St Patrick's Cathedral old timber presbytery before is was demolished in 1927.

Landscaping surrounding the St Patrick's Cathedral old timber presbytery before is was demolished in 1927.

These days St Patrick’s Cathedral – known as the “Cathedral of Light” – is regarded as one of the most important and imposing landmarks in Toowoomba.

These days St Patrick’s Cathedral – known as the “Cathedral of Light” – is regarded as one of the most important and imposing landmarks in Toowoomba.

Leaning front fence on Ruthven st side of St Patrick's Cathedral that was constructed and replaced the original picket fence in 1931. Pic taken in 2000

Leaning front fence on Ruthven st side of St Patrick's Cathedral that was constructed and replaced the original picket fence in 1931. Pic taken in 2000

Interior of St Patrick's Cathedral showing the choir loft before it was removed in 1972.

Interior of St Patrick's Cathedral showing the choir loft before it was removed in 1972.

Sketch of St Patrick's Cathedral attributed to AWF Bligh in 1931.

Sketch of St Patrick's Cathedral attributed to AWF Bligh in 1931.

St Patrick's Cathedral driveway in 2000 is of no historic significance and is allowed to be altered. As is the pavers at the front which were originally granite.

St Patrick's Cathedral driveway in 2000 is of no historic significance and is allowed to be altered. As is the pavers at the front which were originally granite.

Documentary evidence suggest the Murphy's Creek sandstone on St Patrick's Cathedral was cleaned and treated with silicone as part of the 1970's renovation. It was again cleaned and treated in 1984.

Documentary evidence suggest the Murphy's Creek sandstone on St Patrick's Cathedral was cleaned and treated with silicone as part of the 1970's renovation. It was again cleaned and treated in 1984.

The leadlight windows of St Patrick's Cathedral are a significant feature and should be preserved to the highest possible standards. In repairing the windows care should be taken to ensure that the workmanship is to a high standard and any damage to stonework is repaired.

The leadlight windows of St Patrick's Cathedral are a significant feature and should be preserved to the highest possible standards. In repairing the windows care should be taken to ensure that the workmanship is to a high standard and any damage to stonework is repaired.

The St Patrick's Cathedral bell was a gift of the St Pats branch of the Hibernian Society. It was cast to the order of Bishop Byrne by the firm of Matthew O'Byrne of Dublin and was consecrated on 17 June 1934. The bell was named 'Patrick'.

The St Patrick's Cathedral bell was a gift of the St Pats branch of the Hibernian Society. It was cast to the order of Bishop Byrne by the firm of Matthew O'Byrne of Dublin and was consecrated on 17 June 1934. The bell was named 'Patrick'.