Downes House, Crediton, Devon - Moses Gould’s original building at Downes in 1692 was in red brick, but in 1794 James Buller faced the red brick with Beer stone & the windows were lowered. The pediment with the Buller Coat of Arms was also added. In 1840 James Wentworth Buller demolished the back part of the house, which included a brewhouse & built the present red brick back section to contain staff quarters & extra bedrooms for his family of 10 surviving children.
Spetchley Hall Classical Palladian mansion, built in 1811 for the Berkeley family by architect John Tasker. Not open to the public, but sits in 30 acres of formal garden, which is well worth a visit. This house was to be Winston Churchill's residence and seat of government should the Germans have invaded the south-east in World War II, with the royal family moving to Madresfield Court near Malvern