"The gravesite of the left arm of General Stonewall Jackson - After General Jackson's arm was amputated nearby at the Wilderness Tavern, his doctor, Hunter McGuire didn't feel that it was appropriate for the General's arm to be buried in a mass grave with other amputated limbs, so he took the arm, and brought it to his family's home nearby and had it buried in the family plot."
This home was one of four structures that were left standing after the Battle of Decatur [AL] in October 1864 during the Civil War. The home survived the ravages of the battle including occupation by Union troops. Built in 1829, by Colonel Francis Dancy. The home later passed to his granddaughter Lavinia Dancy-Polk. she used it as a boarding house after her husband, Dr. Thomas Polk passed away. (collection Morgan County Archive)