Portraits Of John and Polly Todd. Dondated by Genesee County Historical Society. The Todds are recognized as the first white settlers on the site of Flint. They settled on the south bank of the Flint River in April of 1830 on 785 acres of land purchased for $800. The locality was then known as the Grand Traverse of the Flint. Here, John and Polly Todd operated the town's first tavern.