This gray limestone, neo-Gothic structure was once Highland Park High School. The architect of the building was Wells Butterfield, whose daughter Emily was the first licensed female architect in the state of Michigan. Mr. Butterfield also served as the first mayor of the City of Farmington, Michigan. He also designed several Methodist churches across the state of Michigan in the late 1800s.
St. Benedict's Catholic Church, on Church Street off Woodward, was founded in 1915. It is considered one of the historic buildlings in Highland Park, along with McGregor Library and the Ford plant on Manchester. Circa 1920. Detroit News archive