This gingerbread style building was built around the 1870’s as the City Hall and Fire Station for the City of Murfreesboro. It was located on the corner of Church and Maple. It the 1920’s, the City Hall moved to Main Street. The “Po Boy Restaurant” was located there during the Depression.
A BLAST FROM THE PAST! Cecil Elrod's The French Shoppe was located at 118 North Church Street (current home of The Guidance Center), but the building was origianally The Princess Theatre. The French Shoppe moved into the building in 1929 and remained there until the early 1980's. Who has memories they would like to share of Cecil Elrod's The French Shoppe?
Another BLAST FROM THE PAST: Murfreesboro Bank and Trust Company (est. 1905). This building and the one adjancent (McClellan's) were raized to make way for the Judicial Building which was (ironically) designed to resemble the MB Co. building.
This early 1920’s photo was taken on the north side of the public square. The building is of the Murfreesboro Bank and Trust Company. It was a three-story building. The bank was organized and chartered July 8, 1905. with a capital sock of $50,000.
1913 Murfreesboro Street (Change to 1913 Tornado Scene on the Square) On March 21, 1913, a devastating tornado blew a path of destruction through the Public Square. It damaged buildings in the central business district. Many of the businesses never recovered.
The Rockvale Store was built in 1884 by Francis Marion Carlton. Mr. Carlton also donated the land for the Rockvale Cumberland Prebyterian Church and Rockvale School. The store was placed on the National Register in September 1995. Heritage Center of Murfreesboro and Rutherford County.
The Heritage Center of Murfreesboro and Rutherford County December 13, 2013 Fun Friday Fact: "One of the first wholesale groceries established in Tennessee outside of the larger cities was organized by Henry King in 1900, and began business under the name of Overall, King & Lytle. On January 1, 1915 the business was incorporated under the name of Henry King & Company…” (Handbook of Murfreesboro and Rutherford County Tennessee (1923), p. 42)
Goldstein Department Store: The Goldstein Department Store was synonymous with quality for nearly 75 years. Mr. William Goldstein arrived from Lithuania and settled in Murfreesboro in 1912 with literally his merchandise on his back. He became one of the most successful businessmen offering ladies and men of Murfreesboro the latest styles and fashion. Source: Murfreesboro Magazine/Shacklett photography
The Hawkins County Courthouse is the seat of county government for Hawkins County, Tennessee, located in the city of Rogersville. It is the oldest original courthouse in Tennessee built in 1836, and the oldest in continued use. One of the most photographed buildings in the South, it was occupied by both Confederate and Union forces during the Civil War.