President Barack Obama, First Lady Michelle Obama, and their daughter Malia meet with Malala Yousafzai, the young Pakistani schoolgirl who was shot in the head by the Taliban a year ago, in the Oval Office, Oct. 11, 2013.
On September 10, 1963 the Birmingham City Schools were integrated after President John F. Kennedy issued Executive Order 11118, nationalizing over 200 National Guard troops to remove "unlawful obstructions of justice". Gov. George Wallace closed some schools citing the threat of violence, and parents withdrew children from the integrated schools. On a Sunday morning five days later the Sixteenth Street Baptist Church was bombed.
Rev. Theodore Judson (T.J.) Jemison (August 1, 1918 – November 15, 2013) was pastor of Mount Zion Baptist Church in Baton Rouge for over 50 years. In 1953 he helped lead the first boycott protesting segregated seating on city buses. Although it was resolved after 8 days it was used as a model for the Montgomery Boycott, and Rev. Jemison was a co-founder of the SCLC in 1957. He also served as president of the National Baptist Convention USA from 1982 to 1994. #TodayInBlackHistory
Eleanor Roosevelt (October 11, 1894 - November 7, 1962) became aware of the effects of systemic racism as First Lady during the depression, and worked with Walter White, Mary McLeod Bethune, and Pauli Murray to promote equality for African Americans. She resigned from the DAR in 1939 when Marian Anderson was not allowed to sing at Constitution Hall. The two are shown here with Nasrollah Entezam, president of the fifth session of the U.N. General Assembly, on Human Rights Day in 1950.
On September 29, 1784 the Grand Lodge of England issued a charter for the African Lodge No. 1 later renamed African Lodge No. 459.The lodge, founded by Prince Hall was the country's first African Masonic lodge. African Lodge No. 459 grew to such a degree that Worshipful Master Prince Hall was appointed a Provincial Grand Master in 1791, and out of this grew the first Black Provincial Grand Lodge. In 1847 they changed their name to the Prince Hall Grand Lodge, the name it carries today.