The Old Woman in the Shoe, Humpty Dumpty, even the runaway Dish and Spoon inhabited the Enchanted Forest, on Baltimore National Pike in Ellicott City, for nearly 40 years. A favored destination for young children in these parts, the 52-acre wonderland helped bring Mother Goose and her tales to imaginative life. Shuttered for good in 1995, much of the forest now sits on nearby Clark's Elioak Farm, where the remnants continue to enchant.
For decades the go-to destination for Baltimore shoppers, the corner of Lexington and Howard streets was home to four department stores: Hecht's, Hochschild's, Hutzler's and Stewart's (pictured). For decades, no Christmas was complete without at least one shopping trip to this commercial nerve center. They're all gone now -- Hutzler's remained the longest, closing in 1989.
The May Company purchased the Hecht Company in 1959. The Hecht Company finally dissolved in 2006 when stores like Macy's and Bloomingdale's cornered the market and Federal Department Stores bought the May Company.