Building dates from early 1930's. Writers Thomas Wolfe, O. Henry, both buried in Asheville, and F. Scott Fitzgerald, a common visitor of Asheville, could frequently be found in the newsroom. The building is a relatively plain moderne building, a three-story asymmetrical gray structure. The decoration comes from the simple raised bands near the roof-line, top and bottom of the windows and to the sides of the name above the entrance. Glass blocks surround all windows.