The Te Kawerau-a-Maki people regard Tiriwa, pictured here, as another significant ancestor. Their heartland is the Waitākere Ranges, which they call Te Waonui-a-Tiriwa (the great forest of Tiriwa). This carving of Tiriwa, which stands in front of the Arataki Visitors’ Centre in the Waitākeres, shows him carrying the island of Rangitoto. He is said to have moved the island from Karekare to the Hauraki Gulf.
Waiti Village at Te Henga on the banks of the Waitakere River, 1910. Te Henga means 'the food for a work party'. John Bethell's building on right. The tangata whenua (people of the land), Te Kawerau a Maki have a long occupation of this area. The village would have become uninhabitable soon after 1910 when the Waitakere Dam was completed upstream, subsequently changing the River. http://heritageetal.blogspot.co.nz/2013/10/te-henga.html
1940. Auckland War Memorial Museum - Kelly,-Leslie-George,-1906-1959-Tamaki-Makau-Rau-:-map-of-the-Tamaki-isthmus-with-Maori-place-names. Map of Waitemata Harbour including Rangitoto and Manukau Harbour showing Maori place names. Auckland War Memorial Museum - G9083.A82.
Te Wao Nui A Tiriwa - The great forest of Tiriwa. Hikurangi is the mountain, Te Wao Nui a Tiriwa is the forest, Nga Tai Whakatu a Kupe is the sea, Te Au o Te Whenua is the ancestor, Te Kawerau a Maki are the people. Place Names Courtesy of Kate Murdoch. http://www.waitakereranges.org.nz/about-the-ranges.html
Four Maori chiefs of Ngati Whatua exchanged land in 1844 for a schooner named Lucidan owned by the shipping firm of Henderson & Macfarlane. The Government of the day decided against Henderson and it took 29 years for his claim to be finalised, whereby he got half of the land claimed. The Maori got to keep the schooner.
The Waitakere Ranges are where fairies live - called Turehu by local Maori; they had red hair. Read about the fairies of the Waitakere Ranges at http://www.waitakere.govt.nz/abtcit/ei/pdfs/localareastudies/maorihistorylegends.pdf
1877 Map of West Auckland showing the Riverhead end of the 'Portage Railway' to Helensville, and the proposed extension of the Auckland railway line to Riverhead. The line was completed to Glen Eden in March 1880.
1862 Tribal Boundaries map. Uriohau Ngati Whatua in West Auckland and Kaipara = No.3 (yellow) population 550 Maori. Ngati Tai in Auckland = No.4 (pink) population 77 Maori. Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, NZ Map 4327
1919. Auckland War Memorial Museum - Morrow,-Arthur,-1842-1937-Sargeant,-H.H. Gibbons,-?-Entrances-:-Manukau-Harbour. Manuscript map of the Manukau Heads, featuring Huia Bay, Puponga Pt., North Bank, Main or Middle Bank; soundings in fathoms, signal stations, and other topographical features depicted. Height shown by hachures. Auckland War Memorial Museum - G9082.M25.