Old Post Office, New Lynn. 1955. Now known as the Potters Post. At left is the pedestrian walkway for the rail overbridge. Photo JTD-11A-01561 1970s photo at http://www.nzmuseums.co.nz/account/3031/object/475075/Photograph_of_old_brick_building_New_Lynn
Old Post Office, New Lynn.
Detail from map of the Green Bay/New Lynn area from 1863 Special Collections, Auckland City Libraries (NZ) Maps Online 4178. From Green Bay to Gondwanaland
Pūkeko is mentioned in the Māori myth 'How the Kiwi lost her wings' in which several birds of the forest are asked to come down from the trees to eat the bugs on the ground and save the forest, but all give excuses except the Kiwi who is willing to give up his colours and the ability to fly. The Pūkeko's excuse is that it looks too damp down there, and he does not want to get his feet wet. The Pūkeko is punished for his reluctance and told he must now live forever in the swamps...NZ
Tattoo Pain Chart
Nihotupu Dam tramline at Parau. 1920. Passing loop in the trestles at Big Muddy Creek. The line passes through Peter Williams' property just beyond the mangroves (left). Centre background is Marhsall Laing's old home. The building on the right is the loco shed at the Deep Hole. The white streaks below the house and slightly right is the Brooklyn Bridge. In front of the house and in line with the bridge to the left is the ridge, up which the old road went to Mill Bay and Huia in the 1800s.
heritage_Tshirt_400x305.jpg 400×305 pixels
Click to enlarge
1860s. Allotments around the Manukau Harbour, and along the Great South Road to the Waikato River. Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, NZ Map 4450.
Titirangi map. New Lynn shown as Whau township in the Parish of Waikomiti. Shows allotments in an area from Westmere to Whau Creek to Manukau Harbour. Priestly was the first known publican of the Whau Hotel , and was only there from April to October of 1863, also Greytown was for sale in that year. Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, NZ Map 4178