The double mansions of William H. Vanderbilt and family between 51st and 52nd Streets on the west side of Fifth Avenue, completed in 1881. On the next block is the limestone mansion of William K. and Alva Vanderbilt. The brownstones beyond were soon replaced with three more Vanderbilt houses. (New York Social Diary)
Petit Chateau was a Châteauesque mansion at 660 Fifth Avenue on the Upper East Side in New York City. It was built for William Kissam Vanderbilt & Alva Vanderbilt from 1878 to 1882. Determined to make her mark in New York society, Alva Vanderbilt worked with the architect, Richard Morris Hunt, to create the French Renaissance-style chateau. It was sold to a real-estate developer in 1926 & demolished. In a draft of her memoirs, Alva, then Mrs. Belmont, merely noted the demolition in passing.
Once the home of Frederick Vanderbilt, (It now houses the Versace store). The only Vanderbilt house on Fifth Avenue between 51st and 58th Streets that is still standing. All the others have been demolished.
The William H. Vanderbilt Family at home (oil on canvas, 1873) pictured in the Vanderbilt house on 40th Street and Fifth Avenue (now part of The New York Public Library). Florence Vanderbilt (later Twombly), then age 19, is fifth from the left, wearing yellow.