Scott Outdoor Amphitheatre, Swarthmore College, PA. Designed by Thomas Sears and completed in 1942. 2ft high retaining walls are made from layers of local schist slabs and the randomly spaced trees are Liriodendron tulipifera (Tulip Tree) and Quercus alba (White Oak).
Designed by Philadelphia landscape architect Thomas Sears and completed in 1942, this naturalistic open-air theater was built on the west side of the Swarthmore College campus. Screened by holly, oriental spruce, and red cedars, the 220-foot long amphitheater is edged by a low stone wall edged with mature rhododendrons.