Saint Bartholomew Church, in the center of Gyöngyös was built in the 14th century. Originally it was built in Gothic style, but today it shows the characteristics of a Baroque Church. Since the 1960s there have been archeological researches under Great Church of Gyöngyös. There is now a new glass-walled addition to the northern side of the church. Entering this, the results of the archeological investigations can be seen.
St Bartholomew's gatehouse that leads to the oldest parish church in London - St Bartholomew-the-Great - was built in the sixteenth century and is where Queen Mary ate chicken and drank red wine while watching Protestant martyrs burn at the stake. It was only when a first World War German Zeppelin bomb in 1916 fell nearby that the tiles to this arch fell off to reveal this Elizabethan half timber fronted house built in 1597. Front and rear view of the Elizabethan gate house