The first pneumatic tube mail system was installed in Philadelphia in 1893. New York City’s came in 1897. Each tube could carry between 400 and 600 letters and traveled at 30-35 miles per hour. In its full glory, the pneumatic tubes covered a 27-mile route, connecting 23 post offices.
Pneumatic tubes, like those used by Winston, were actually used in the late 19th and early 20th century
June 1943. Washington, D.C. "Miss Helen Ringwald, employee at the Western Union telegraph office, works with the pneumatic tubes through which messages are sent to branches in other parts of the city for delivery