The Edict of Nantes, issued on 13 April 1598, by Henry IV of France, granted the Calvinist Protestants of France (also known as Huguenots) substantial rights in a nation still considered essentially Catholic. Henry aimed primarily to promote civil unity. It marked the end of the religious wars that had afflicted France during the second half of the 16th century.
Le Château des Ducs de Bretagne in Nantes, France. Where the Edict of Nantes was signed.
Edict of Nantes (1598): Henry IV gave rights to Protestant Huguenots in France, equalizing them with Catholics for the first time in French history. TJ - 15-16th Century - IS
by Artist Henry Nadauld 1653 1723. The Empress fountain Chatsworth House. He was a Huguenot sculptor and carver, responsible for sophisticated decorative carving and statues at two of the great English baroque houses. Nadauld was born in France and after the revocation of the Edict of Nantes fled to England. His son Pierre, born in 1685 in France, was naturalised in 1707 He became a surgeon and raised a family in Ashford, Derbys.
Barnstaple Pannier (Cloth) Market The first Huguenot refugees to arrive in Barnstaple, came in 1685; the year the Edict of Nantes was revoked. The way in which the town responded to the new arrivals is recorded in the diary of Jacques Fontaine, born in Jenouille (or Genouillé), France in 1658. He describes the welcome he received from protestant hosts: “After paying for our passage, I had only twenty gold pistoles left, but God had not conducted us in safety to a haven there to leave us to…
Nantes, a city in West France, located on the Loire River, is the 6th largest in France. During the Wars of Religion, Nantes supported the Catholic League and the governor of Brittany, the Duke of Mercoeur, in his fight against the Protestants. The town was one of the last to recognise the authority of Henri IV, which meant that the edict of Nantes, a decree guaranteeing the right of worship to Protestants, did not reflect the majority opinion of the inhabitants.
French Protestant Church of London, is a Huguenot Protestant church in Soho Square. It was founded by King Edward VI by a Royal Charter of 1550. It is the only remaining Huguenot church in London, 23 were in existence in 1700 at the height of the French refugee population following the 1685 Revolution of the Edict of Nantes
Logis Barrault in Angers where the Edict of Nantes was signed in 1598 by Henri IV granting civil rights to Protestants in sanctuary cities where they could live in peace, while reaffirming Catholicism as the established religion of France. It would be revoked in 1685 by Louis XIV.
Philip the Fair (Philip IV), Henry III and Louis XIII were all born in the palace, and Philip died there. Christina of Sweden lived there for years, following her abdication in 1654. In 1685 Fontainebleau saw the signing of the Edict of Fontainebleau, which revoked the Edict of Nantes (1598). Royal guests of the Bourbon kings were housed at Fontainebleau, including Peter the Great of Russia and Christian VII of Denmark.