New Zealand first bicycle was built in Lawrence in 1893. In 1893 Patrick O’Leary age 20 an employee of Matthews and Chalmers Blacksmiths, made by hand the handsome two-wheeler bicycle. He not only made the bicycle but also the tools needs for construction, turning the bike out completely, except for the rubber tyres and driving chains. Soon after building the bicycle, Mr. O’Leary taught the postmistress of Lawrence to ride down Lawrence main street, Ross Place.
Clutha Gold Trail. During the gold rush and sawmilling eras the whole district rattled with the sound of diggers and wagon trains as trade routes were established through the plains and across the Clutha River. The discovery of gold at Gabriel's Gully by Gabriel Read in May 1861 led to the Central Otago gold rush. With the population of the gold field rising from almost nothing to around 11,500 within a year, twice that of Dunedin at the time. www.cluthacountry.co.nz
Clutha Gold Trail. Lawrence is also the home of New Zealand’s national anthem, where local school teacher, John Woods, created the score to a Thomas Bracken poem to compose “God Defend New Zealand” in 1876. He is buried on the hilltop cemetery of which is notable for its elaborate Victorian ironwork, beautiful Celtic crosses and the Chinese section.