PS Waimarie was built in 1899 by Yarrow & Co Shipbuilders at Poplar, London, and transported in kitset form to Wanganui. Originally named Aotea, she was operated by the Wanganui Settlers River Steamship Co until 1902, when she was sold to Alexander Hatrick and renamed Waimarie (good fortune/peaceful waters).
Wanganui, and Whanganui River, during the floods of May 1904. Shows stranded river boats, including the Manuwai (centre). On the right is a group of onlookers, with a flooded street in the distance. Photograph taken by Frank J Denton, circa 26 May.
Published on 15 Jan 2015 (New Zealand) Having been successfully retrieved from the riverbank and with her heavy boiler and engines removed, PS Waimarie was now ready to be floated down the river and onto a temporary slipway constructed behind the Whanganui Riverboat Centre,